Fannie's Breakfast Menu
Fannie's Lunch Menu
Fannie's Cafe is named in
honor of Fannie Read, a local legend, who's romance and death was reported
throughout the U.S. in 1932.
Fannie's Cafe is located on the East end of the Hancock House
on the main floor. Fannie's serves breakfast and lunch 7 days a week and
is open from 6 AM to 8 PM.
Please take a look at Fannie's menu by clicking the menu button in upper
The History of Fannie Read
Her legend and story began on a warm summer night in 1862. It was at
The American Hotel, where the outgoing, musically gifted, Fannie lived
with her parents, who also owned the hotel.
The 50 room hotel housed a great number of Union military officers during
the Civil War. They were assigned to the staging area called Camp
Hillhouse known today as Firemen's Park. Fannie would play her Rosewood
piano & entertain the troops that had gathered.
One of the officers,
Lieutenant John Bellows, became the object of Fannie's affections.
Fannie's father, Riley Read had
bitter experiences with bill-jumping
officers and took a violent dislike to Bellows. This
situation was unacceptable to Riley and he took action
to end the affair. He sent Fannie to her room. The young officer
was eventually stationed elsewhere. However, Fannie remained in her room,
as her father had commanded, for the next 68 years. She never reconciled with her father.
She would ultimately become the only resident in the American Hotel, until her death in 1932.
The hotel was razed and the contents, including her Rosewood piano were
auctioned off in 1938.
Fannie made Howard Hughes look like an extravert. She ventured out
only for family funerals and was heavily veiled when she did. Only a dim
light in a second floor curtained window signified anyone living in the
hotel at all after 1874. Her meals were sent in from other hotels,
one of which was the Hancock House.
"SOMETIMES IN THE SUMMER BREEZE YOU CAN STILL HEAR FANNIE PLAYING HER ROSEWOOD